Thermal assistant is a feature of Oudie 3 which should help you get centered in a lift more quickly if you decide to follow its instructions. Thermal assistant analyses the lift in your thermal. It calculates the average and follows how strongly the vario values change in each circle.
It uses three ways to catch your attention:
1. You may choose between Bubbles or a Zoomed map which shows the best part of the lift. Bubbles are disabled by default, zooming in is enabled.
2. Thermal Assistant audio warning goes off if variance is large enough (see Settings - Thermal ). It whistles a selected amount of seconds or degrees (see Settings - Thermal ) before the glider will reach the same part of the circle where maximum lift was reached in the previous circle.
3. Thermal assistant graphics is displayed if variance for displaying the thermal assistant is large enough (see Settings - Thermal ). The size of the bubbles represents the amount of lift. The color of the bubble is relative to the MacCready setting. Red is better thank MC, blue is more than 0.5m/s (1kts) less than MC, yellow is in between. The arrow is pointing towards the maximum of the lift in the previous circle while the length of the arrow is how "strong" the advice is to move your circle elsewhere. The arrow is longer if variance is larger.
- find a thermal,
- start circling,
- look outside,
- observe the thermal clues,
- observe traffic in your vicinity,
- make use of Assistant's suggestions.
- analyze the thermal,
- find the strongest lift in the circle,
- make audio and visual suggestions.
We were not trying to develop a Thermal Wizard, just an Assistant for the times when you are tired or have better things to do than focus 100% on the thermal. It will only sound a bell if the thermal varies significantly in strength.
If you would like to display Thermal assistant regardless of the current vario variation, feel free to navigate to the Menu and press the Thermal Assistant button.
Thermal Asstant is obscuring the view? While the flight Thermal assistant is active you can cancel it with a simple press on the screen even if screen is locked. Press anywhere and the Thermal assistant will go away until your next circling.